Home | Contact Us

 
Grimes Mill
The Iroquois Hunt Club is fortunate in having Grimes Mill as its headquarters and the club and its members take great care in preserving and maintaining the historic building. Nestled beside Boones Creek the two-story former mill includes a full kitchen, bar and patio that looks out onto the swimming pool. A popular local caterer, Cooper Vaughan, cooks fabulous meals two or three Saturdays a month for members and their guests. Cooper and his staff provide excellent service not only for the Saturday dinners, but also for other club parties like the annual Hunt Ball held on the first Saturday in November.

Many members reserve dates at the mill for private parties like wedding receptions, luncheons or charity fundraisers.

IHC - History

Overview
The IHC was founded in 1880 by General Roger D. Williams. In 1929, the Iroquois Hunt was recognized by the Master of Foxhounds Association of America.

History
The Iroquois Hunt was founded in 1880 by General Roger D. Williams. It was named for Iroquois, the first American horse to win the English Derby. When the news of Iroquois' winning this race reached America, business was, for a time, "entirely suspended on Wall Street and the Stock Exchange rang with the cheering."

General Williams served as vice-president and president of the National Foxhunter's Association as well as Master of Hounds at the annual meets held by this group.

For thirty-four years, from 1880 to 1914, this foxhunter and hound man was MFH of the Iroquois. During a good part of his Iroquois Mastership, Bonnie Stone served as his Huntsman, but when Williams retired from regular hunting activities, the Iroquois Hunt followed suit.

It wasn't until the fall of 1926 that the Iroquois became active again. In 1928, the Hunt purchased Grimes Mill, located on Boone Creek near the Kentucky River. Phillip Grimes settled here in 1800, built a dam across Boone Creek and erected the mill in 1803. It immediately became an institution, and farmers from miles around came to have their corn and wheat ground. Grimes also erected a malt house and distillery. And for years, Old Grimes Whiskey was as famous as his flour and meal. In 1813, Grimes built the beautiful stone house above the mill.

After having purchased the old mill, the Hunt remodeled it into a clubhouse, with kennels, stables and a huntsman's house across the road. In the same year, the first annual Iroquois Horse Show was held. In 1929, the Iroquois Hunt was recognized by the Master of Foxhounds Association of America.

Rental
For information about renting the Iroquois Hunt Club for private parties or events, contact:  theapiarylex@gmail.com

b_bar
 

 Iroquois Hunt Club - 2439 Grimes Mill Rd, Lexington, KY 40515 -- Contact Us